Saturday, February 19, 2011

It's jam-making season again.

Every year, in August and September, someone in my neighbourhood brings us plums, apples, berries etc. A relative of him has a fruit orchard and the trees bear so much fruit he cann't use it all by himself, so he gives most of the fruit away. This time we got a big box of plums. Too much just to eat them so I had a job to do: jam making.

Besides making the regular plum jam I also tried out some recipes. I found an interesting one on a german site: peach plum banana marmelade. I had to try this one and it came out perfect and taste delicious. Here is the recipe:

Peach Plum Banana Jam
500 gram peaches
500 gram plums
1 banana
juice of 1/2  lemon
1 kilo jam sugar

Wash and removes the stones from the fruit and cut in pieces. 
Add the banana and mash the fruit with a stick mixer.
Add the jam sugar and stir it until it has completely dissolved. Bring it to a full rolling boil and boil it rapidly for about 5-6 minutes. Add the lemon juice.Immediately pour hot mixture into sterilized jars right to the top and seal. Invert jars for at least 10 minutes then turn upright. This will create a vacuum seal. Let cool.

This was my first batch. Also made blackberry jam from my own blackberry bush.  Two more batches followed in that week. It's time consuming but well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment